MERRY TUBACHRISTMAS

This is a note I sent to the tubaeuph list.  I though it might be of
interest here as well;-)

As the organizer of the HOUSTON MERRY TUBACHRISTMAS, I would like to
encourage our extra-US comrades to consider organizing their own
TUBACHRISTMAS.  I have been talking to Harvey Phillips about it becoming an
international phenomenon.  Already there are treble clef euphonium and tuba
(both transpositions) available.  The score book remains the GREEN bass
clef book while the treble books are YELLOW and BLUE respectively.

The main sticking point has been the support to the Harvey Phillips
Foundation.  Also, the tributes to Bill Bell and Alec Wilder do not mean as
much to non-US tubists.

While the US gatherings tend to be largish, the arrangements would
admirably suit the 2 baritones, 2 euphs, and 4 tubas of the brass band.  I
see from the brass band list that there are many XMAS concerts being
planned.  These tunes would do much to enliven these affairs and give the
wimps with small mouthpieces a chance to rest;-)

The URL for the affair is http://php.indiana.edu/~philliph/

For our UK friends I would like to note that John Fletcher, the great
tubist, was fond of holding "guerilla" performances of carols in London.
An event in his honor would be most appropriate.
Henry Howey
Professor
Department of Music
Sam Houston State University