Misreading posting intent on lists

This list is great and I can also relate to the sentiments below re:
hotmail etc.  (If you dont like non-music postings in this list, I
suggest you but out now.)  To continue, please read the context below
this response, from Geoff Collins (whose sentiments I am supporting),
before you read my note.  Thanks.

I recently on this very list (although out of sight of its illustrious
membership) took a contributor to task over their contribution to this
list.  They had set their e-mail account to demand a return receipt for
every contribution.  Think about it, if you want to build a profile of
any list you join, whats the best way of finding out who they are?
YES!!  Getting a receipt.  And if you dont know what Im talking about,
you are especially susceptible.  And there is someone on here (the brass
band list) still doing it.

I had a prolonged and very rude (not me being rude I add) discussion
with this list person who it turns out works for a company that markets
via the Internet!  Well knock me down with a feather and call me
Herbert!  What a wizard wheeze to send an inflamatory message into a
list that requires a receipt of delivery/opening (automatically I might
add unless you know how to intercept it!), sit back and then build a
maillist  that pertains to people that like music - especially when your
company sells stuff extremely relevant to said list members.  SO a
degree of scepticism when engaging with internet is necessary IMPO (in
my professional opinion).  So I am adding my voice to the very real
message that I concur with 100percent in the context posting below.  ANd
it is relevant to Brass Band lists too, before we have another petty
"cant we put a one liner message in the subject because I havent got the
time to read drivel" spat.  And if the cap fits, wear it.  <flame out>

Steve Larwood
Euphonium, Melbourne Town Band
http://www.proactif.co.uk/mtb.htm