Re: Misreading posting intent on lists

I enjoy this mailing list as a good way of finding out what is happening in the world of brass bands.  It is interesting to learn of the different points of view on offer, and to learn about "Brass Band Culture", something that is going to take me a lot m
ore time to catch up with, I can see that.

I am going to attempt to lay a few things to rest though, so that we can all get back to the brass bands.

You may note that the return address on this is to a hotmail style account.  This has nothing to do with trying to hide my identity - I very simply wanted an email address that was (a) short, (b) I could get to from a web browser, and (c) didn't vanish in
to the haze when I changed jobs or ISP's.  Nothing more than that.  Yes there is advertising on the pages where you read/write/administer your mail, but if I found it intrusive, or if I found that my email address was been distributed I would cancel the a
ccount.

I would submit that someone other than Nigel Horne taking someone to task over their *contributions* to this mailing list is out of place.  As the maintainer of this list, we have to trust him, as I do, to use his discretion with the contributions and to
keep track of things.  He is absolutely correct in his reply (as well) that this list is not the place for adverts and related.  He also points out that no-one has ever been found guilty of trolling this list.  May it long stay that way.

I can't help thinking that the best way of trolling a group is to simply let it send to you for a while, take it all in, make a list of the email addresses (which will all be active as they are from the people who post), and then use that.  It strikes me
as a little daft to use receipts for this - it just (as has been proven) causes suspicion.  I have been known to put receipts onto some of my messages - particularly when the mail server dialed at unpredictable intervals.  This allowed me to know when the
 message had left the building/arrived, so that I could make the (sometimes important) follow-up calls.

As for marketing on the internet.  I work for a company who do exactly that.  Increasingly, more people do.  We have a set of web pages, which we use to keep the world up to date with what we are doing.  We are contactable from it.  We (I beleive) have so
me of our past projects on it.  The only thing that using the method described below would do is to (as demonstrated magnificently) irritate people.

If I went through life worrying about people making lists out of me I would have never opened a bank account, ordered pizza or subscribed to this list.  Life is too short to worry about most of that sort of thing.  If people abuse the (yes - sometimes mis
guided) trust I place in them, then there is always the filter option on the email which will quite happily block everything from a set of given addresses.

"Innocent until proven guilty" would seem to be applicable here.  No-one has ever been proved guilty of trolling this list.  Some people use receipts (with sometimes good reason).  More and more people work for companies that have an internet presence.  T
here are many valid reasons for wanting a hotmail style account.

As far as I can see, no-one has done anything wrong, so lets get back to where we belong - a mailing list about brass bands.

Erik Pearson.