Grimethorpe on the TV, 5th December

A few miscellaneous thoughts in no particular order on Grimethorpe's
appearance on 'Lesley Garrett: Tonight!', BBC2 (UK) television, Saturday 5th
December:

1)  A top band on prime time Saturday evening TV, yet  I knew nothing about
this appearance until half an hour before the programme went out, when the
continuity announcer mentioned their name.  Did anyone else know about it?
A quick glance through the most recent edition of Brass Band World magazine
reveals no reference to it, despite the fact that this particular edition
featured a double page photo of the band,  info on their forthcoming trip to
Australasia, as well as a three-quarter page review of their recent London
concert.  I don't get the Bandsman - did they mention it, anyone?  I tried
to access the Grimethorpe website but it seems to have become unavailable.
And most significantly, no mention of it appeared on this mailing list,
where things often come to light first!  Another triumph for
non-communication?  As I have said before, band appearances are few and far
between on the TV, so all the more reason for such items to be flagged up
beforehand.

2)  I suppose they played what they were told to by the producer - but the
finale from the William Tell Overture, followed by a chunk from the Largo
from the New World Symphony didn't do us many favours, really.  Such a
choice of repertoire does tend to place brass bands, in the public mind,
firmly in the latter half of the 19th century - which, just as the rest of
the world is about to step into the 21st, seems rather a pity.  But that, I
suppose, is hard evidence of how bands are viewed by many in the outside
world.

3)  The band played - or appeared to play, at least - the William Tell from
memory, with no music stands in evidence.  Bravo - I think!!??

4)  Lesley Garrett - great voice, until she stops singing!  She seems to
have what someone once described as 'a deplorable excess of personality'!

Cheers

Alec