Re: Grimethorpe on the TV, 5th December

Sandy wrote:

---------
> From: DLogan1972@xxxxxxx
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Grimethorpe on the TV, 5th December
> Date: 07 December 1998 01:18
>
> In a message dated 6/12/98 10:00:08 GMT, Alec wrote:
>
> << 3)  The band played - or appeared to play, at least - the William Tell
from
>  memory, with no music stands in evidence.  Bravo - I think!!?? >>
>
> I was left with the impression that they were miming to a pre-recording.
Two
> points lead me to this:
>
> 1.Sometimes Solo cornet fingering was not exactly in sync with what we
were
> hearing.
>
> 2. I didn't see any microphones in shot and I don't think radio or boom
> microphones (if they were used) would give such a good, well balanced
sound.

> Can anyone confirm this?
>
> Sandy

I didn't see the programme myself, but I would imagine that they recorded
the soundtrack first in a studio and then mimed along to it in front of the
audience whilst the music was replayed over the speakers.  Unless the tv
show was broadcast live, the performance is usually done a few times to
allow the cameramen to get the right shots.  Its then up to the
editor/mixer (?) to match the soundtrack to the video, which they don't
always do well.  This approach was adopted when we did the "Party of a
Lifetime" programme recently.

Martin.
B&R.