Re: Percussion on Dutch Championships

The VBL tried this (supplying percussion equipment to a contest) once or twice,
and then it was given the boot.  I like to play my own percussion gear where
preferable too but I can see the other side of the coin, in playing the supplied
equipment.

1.  Lugging percussion gear to contests is a real pain, I hate it - nobody else in
the band helps you unload, pack  up set up etc.  Then you have to "guard" your
gear at the back of the hall or outside in the carpark, while the rest of the band
is somewhere else, while you wait around.  I know this part and parcel of being a
percussionist but many hands make light work.

2.  Quite often test pieces require lots of equipment that most bands simply don't
have - ie tubular bells, a 3rd timp, a vibraphone etc and if this was all
available we could therefore play our parts without borrowing and begging from
other bands or substituting.

Therefore, I think a compromise - the gear should be available and it's optional
whether the players want to use it or not.

Regards,
Vicki
City of Greater Dandenong Band
Australia.