Re: Percussion on Dutch Championships

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, David Lancaster wrote:

> I can appreciate the problems for percussionists but the alternatives
> (ie waiting fifteen minutes between performances which themselves
> only last ten minutes, or finding venues where, say 80 timps can be
> stored when not in use) seem to tip the balance in the other
> direction.

for what it is worth, I have co-sponsored a spring band festival for over
10 years. We require bands (usually about 10) to use the allready set up
percussion equipment. All standard stuff is there including marimba and
tubular chimes, but we require bands to bring their own strikers
(exception is the strikers for the chimes) and any exotic
instruments...otherwise, 4 timps, snare, bass drum, glock, xylo, marimba
and suspended and crash cymbals are there. Things like woodblock, maracas,
guiro, triangle and so forth must be brought. The standard used was to
provide large items, and have bands bring their own sticks and strikers
(save chimes) and small instruments. Unusual instruments was not so much a
factor as size. The equipment provided is top of the line. That is only
fair.

The amount of time needed to change hardware was the factor. Had we not
done it, the time between bands would have been at least 15 min. This way
it is under 5.

best
Edouard Forner		 forner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx	  Macalester College
Music Department				 St. Paul, Minnesota 55105
fax (651) 696 6785     NOTE NEW AREA CODE!!!   phone/v-mail (651) 696 6189

"The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up" - Paul Valery