Re: Percussion on Dutch Championships

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 D4VIS@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 08/12/98 18:21:21 GMT, you write:
>
> << I would like to hear any comments from the UK.  >>

snip

> i know of cases (some affecting bands i have been conducting) where ranges
> have been different on the provided items (than the percussionist has been
> used to), where the actual damping method on a set of bells was different, and
> it is a well known fact that the action on the various makes of timps is
> different, not to mention the sizes of the timps affecting the range of note
> obtainable.

I understand all the objections...however in our experience, many bands
say that the equipment we provide is better (sometimes much better) than
what they have, themselves. That is why IF one uses this kind of rule, the
instruments provided must be top line. As to tuning ranges, etc., this
information we provide in advance to all bands to avoid just such a
circumstance as mentioned above.

BEst

Edouard Forner		 forner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx	  Macalester College
Music Department				 St. Paul, Minnesota 55105
fax (651) 696 6785     NOTE NEW AREA CODE!!!   phone/v-mail (651) 696 6189

"The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up" - Paul Valery