Re: Borrowing Percussion

Jeremy wrote:

>I can see both sides of the argument...(snip)

Having spent many years at SCABA and the Regional Contest humping percussion
around, I can well understand the desire to have hired kit on stage for all
to use (I'm referring here to Timps, Tubular Bells, Orchestral Bass Drums
and the like).

However, having played percussion at the last regional contest, I discovered
on the day that the distance between each note on our bands xylophone and
the pro kit hired by the contest was vastly different. And no, this is not
just a weak excuse for my poor attempt at playing percussion!

The key thing here is to ensure a) that use is optional (which is the case
at both the London & Southern Counties Region and SCABA) and that b) the
equipment hired is top quality.
A similar situation for a top concert pianist - he can't take his own gear
with him but he'll sure as hell insist on a decent piano that's been tuned
on the day of the performance.

Andy Wooler
http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk
andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you have ICQ my ICQ# is 17709362
If you don't have ICQ you can page me through:
* My Personal Communication Center: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/17709362 (go
there and try it!)