Re: Percussion on Dutch Championships

Date sent:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 12:36:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:	   Ed Forner <forner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:	Re: Percussion on Dutch Championships
To:	     brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Send reply to:  brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, David Lancaster wrote:
>
> > I can appreciate the problems for percussionists but the alternatives
> > (ie waiting fifteen minutes between performances which themselves
> > only last ten minutes, or finding venues where, say 80 timps can be
> > stored when not in use) seem to tip the balance in the other
> > direction.
>
> for what it is worth, I have co-sponsored a spring band festival for over
> 10 years. We require bands (usually about 10) to use the allready set up
> percussion equipment. All standard stuff is there including marimba and
> tubular chimes, but we require bands to bring their own strikers
> (exception is the strikers for the chimes) and any exotic
> instruments...otherwise, 4 timps, snare, bass drum, glock, xylo, marimba
> and suspended and crash cymbals are there. Things like woodblock, maracas,
> guiro, triangle and so forth must be brought. The standard used was to
> provide large items, and have bands bring their own sticks and strikers
> (save chimes) and small instruments. Unusual instruments was not so much a
> factor as size. The equipment provided is top of the line. That is only
> fair.
>
> The amount of time needed to change hardware was the factor. Had we not
> done it, the time between bands would have been at least 15 min. This way
> it is under 5.

It's not that we won't play at the sponsored percussion because it is bad stuff.
The only thing is that we rehearse for about two months just as the cornettist or
the tuba player. They work on their sound, we do that to. The work on their
technique, we also do, etc. etc.
I think there are much more things to solve the time problem. If there are lets say 5 people that bring the percussion
on stage and the percussionist only have to make their setup, this wil decrease
the time.
Now they first have to carry everything on their own on stage, and than make a
setup.

Rinze Anne van der Sluis