RE: Borrowing Percussion

The main argument seems to be about speed, but I have played in one contest
where we had to use the timps provided and it slowed down us getting on
stage. We had turned up with our own timps for a practice before playing, so
they were basically tuned up and ready to go, but we had to leave them
outside. When we got on stage, our timpanist discovered that the timps on
stage had been totally detuned, various of the tuning handles let off and
the tuning mark sliders just slid down to the end. Needless to say, it took
several minutes before he had retuned them and was ready to go. I wonder
what Andy Wooler's concert pianist would have done in a similar situation?

Nick.

Andy Wooler wrote:
A similar situation for a top concert pianist - he can't take his own gear
with him but he'll sure as hell insist on a decent piano that's been tuned
on the day of the performance.