Percussion on Dutch Championships

After being a lurker/listener on this list for about a year I thought it
was about time that I made a contribution and came to John Davis
defence.

I was playing in Johns band on the occasion he mentions with the
xylophone.  As a back row cornet player I could sense that the
percussion section were uncomfortable and I'm sure that this contributed
to the general atmosphere of the bands performance.

Our principal percussionist takes a pride in what he plays and he was
quite upset afterwards because he had missed a couple of cymbal entries
while he tried to fix the xylophone before the solo.

I can understand why percussion is provided on contests - especially if
it is a test piece such as Purcell Variations which was used for last
years 1st Section Area which uses a lot but why not have an independent
person to be responsible for the care of the instruments during the day?
Then if something does go wrong the rest of the bands won't have to make
do with only half decent equipment.

Sorry if my first ever message is too long!!

Izzy
Back row cornet - Riddings Band
Musical Director - Riddings 'B' Band