RE: Percussion on Dutch Championships

I was one who responded and this seems a case in my point.

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 R.A.van.der.Sluis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> championsship. The organization saw saturday that the most Dutch bands
> were unhappy with the new rule. The glock(enspiel) was very bad, so I
> think at least 10 bands used their own.

when one supplies equipment, it must be top line.

> organization wouldn't allow him to play on that bells because there were
> tub. bells on the stage. So the boy didn't know which of the twenty
> bells he had to hit and couldn't play that part. Shamefull.

...this is simply being uncooperative and insensitive. To organioze
festivals, one must always be doing things to _help_ the running of the
event. Using one set of equipment does that, but only if one is
understanding and not dictatorial.

The incident is sad, to be sure...but I still believe that the idea is a
sound one. It can really make for a smoother running flow.

It must be implemented with understanding for special circumstances,
however, not a closed mind.

Best
Edouard Forner		 forner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx	  Macalester College
Music Department				 St. Paul, Minnesota 55105
fax (651) 696 6785     NOTE NEW AREA CODE!!!   phone/v-mail (651) 696 6189

"The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up" - Paul Valery