Highlights '98

I won't discuss Competition, but 'best highlight' for me was JJB Leyland
at The Hawth in Crawley back in October. They were as near to perfection
as I have ever heard and that in one of the ghastliest halls for playing
around (I think Winter Garden Bournemouth might be worse ?).
The Hawth produces cracking good concerts for humble Southerners and
draws an audience from a huge area south of London. Not least in the big
pullers is of course Black Dyke. Which other band could fill a hall on a
November afternoon in basically a suburb of Gatwick Airport (no offence
!). Dyke as always were big on sound and the most enduring memory I have
is of the shere power that Kevin and Bob show in finishing a piece -
wonderful.
In terms of non-playing items, Fairey's web site is first class.

As always - banding is on the up !

Regards
PJ