Re: Brass band summer schools

Jud

> I'm toying with the idea of a week in sunny Bromsgrove or Sedbergh in the
> summer.  What do the listies think of the various summer schools on offer?
> I know we've got half the tutors on the list!  I'm thinking in terms of how
> much playing you do, the level of pieces played etc.  I know at Sedbergh the
> afternoons are "free" with optional ensembles, lessons etc.  I believe they
> do a mid-week concert too.  What is the format going to be at Bromsgrove?  I
> have also heard tell that there are seating auditions at Sedbergh, but you
> "sit where you want" at Bromsgrove/Oxford.  Is this still the case?  What
> does this do to the quality of the band?

Good questions!   I've attended the Oxford S.S. for the last couple
of years.  I chose it above Sedbergh because more time was spent
playing and because they seemed to attempt more ambitious repertoire.
The last couple of years have included Paganini Variations, Essence
of Time, Kingdom Triumphant, Triumphant Rhapsody etc and lots of
interesting lighter work.

The format is that delegates are split into two 'normal' bands but
also form a massed band in which the tutors also participate.  We've
been able to 'sit where we like' in the massed band but the seating
arrangements for the smaller bands is fixed by the tutors according
to audition and on the basis of playing experience - it always seems
to work out well.

There are informal concerts during the week for solos and small
ensembles, with a public concert for the three bands on the final
evening.  The tutors present a concert and there is a Friday
Masterclass given by a composer or performer (which also serves to
rest lips before the final concert).  Everyone receives an individual
lesson.

The social side of the week has always been...worthwhile.

I've gained a great deal from attending and would recommend it
thoroughly.

David