Re: Brass band summer schools

Hi,

I have attended the Sedbergh Summer School and it was great fun and we
played good music as well. There are seating auditions, but they are
tempered by a feeling that, if you feel that you either want to give
it a go on a higher seat, they will let you have a try, or conversely,
they will let you step down a seat if you want.
Certainly the social life in Sedbergh was very good, the tutors were
brilliant and the beer is cheap.

The only possible downside that there could be is that some people
felt that the living facilities were a little basic.
I don't agree, but then I did go to Sedbergh School as a pupil for 5
years so I am used to it!

I feel that the claim that the repertoire at Oxford is more ambitious
to be a little erroneous. The repertoire at Sedbergh is varied and
testing.
The afternoons are free and every evening during the evening meal a
group made up from the course (whether tutors or tutees or both)
entertains the rest of the course. Many people did form these groups
and while some performed, some just got together for the fun of it.

Also, Sedbergh has a masterclass by one of the tutors every evening,
these are very entertaining, informative and good fun. I will never
forget the one by Steve Sykes!

Certainly I would recommend Sedbergh very highly.

Yours,

Matthew Watts
Tongwynlais "Temperance" Silver Band (Ch)

or should that be "in-temperance"?