matching horns

The following reply of mine and Steve Marcus' initial message appearedon
the tubaeuph list but seems to me to have some relevance to the brass
band list too.

Dave.

Your comments re the brass band are accurate. I would even go farther
and suggest that at its essence, brass banding is chamber music writ
large.

However, blend and mix is a function of the players more than the horn.
I once played for Wilf Mountain, a former Fairey's euph player and he
made a big deal about all the bones playing tha same horns, Boosey
Imperial in those days. I actually borrowed an Olds Super, played it for
a month and then asked Wilf if he noticed anything different about the
bones. He admitted he hadn't and then I confessed. Very cheeky of me,
didn't convince Wilf at all but proved the point to me.

Dave Buckley.