Re: Fundraising

My band has found that fund-raising is definitely a horses for courses
affair i.e. what works for one band won't even raise a freckle let alone
money for another. But here is one idea that I know worked well for one
band and for us to a degree. It's called a 'Market Night'.
1. You need to buy an assortment of food items e.g. fruit, bread, cereal
etc. whatever you like (we outlayed $100).
2. Put the items into 'packs' e.g. for a breakfast pack you might have a
dozen eggs and some bacon and then stuff them in an old supermarket bag
(we would make up about 30 or so packs)
3. You need to make up 'books' of tickets. Each one is simply a strip of
paper with say 5 numbers on each one and with a duplicate stapled to the
back of it.
4. When a person comes on the night, they buy a number of 'books'. The
top copy they cut up so that each number is separate, these go into a
barrel, the copy they keep.
5. For each pack, you draw a ticket out and the winner gets the pack,
the ticket goes back in and away you go again (some people end up going
home with a heap and some with none - just the luck of the draw I guess)

This can be a really good night. We would have a break half way through
and offer a cup of tea to the people (the tea is covered by charging a
small entrance fee). This also offers opportunity to sell soft drinks
etc and to run some raffles.

In the end, we were making such a small profit however, that we wound it
up.
However, the other band we borrowed the idea off, bought instruments etc
with the proceeds. So there you go.

Hope it helps,

Allan Hawley
Toowoomba Municipal Band