> > Program
> >
> > The Standard of St. George		    Alford
> > A Moorside Suite			      Holst
> > Mechanical Ballet			     Clarke
> > Henry V					       Walton
> >
> > Intermission
> >
> > Blenheim Flourishes			   Curnow
> > Crown Imperial					Walton
> > Seventeen Come Sunday			 Vaughan Williams
> > Elegy from A Downland Suite		   Ireland
> > Finale from Pineapple Poll
> > A Tribute to Ted Heath
> > Pomp and Circunstance No. I		   Elgar
> >

> Wow...what a great programme.  Certainly there's only one 'test'
> piece (plus a couple of movements) but lots of good stuff.  Is
> 'Clarke'  Nigel Clarke, if so how was his piece?  Tricky?

Clarke's piece was to say the least "tricky". It certainly lived up to
its program notes as being a depiction of the factories in the north of
England. I found it initially exciting but with very limited ebbs and
flows so that ultimately I began hoping it would end soon. It might have
been more palatable in a larger space - it was very noisy. Of course
that was the intention. A real challenge for the band who had not seen
it until Watson brought it over with him aespecially since they missed a
rehearsal due to the snow.

Regards.

Dave.

I've been