Re: Hannaford Street Silver Band

Larry White wrote:

> Dave,
> Are they or have they ever recorded under James Watson.

Not to my knowledge.

I enjoy your comments
> on Hannaford under his direction, however with Cable

Cable is not really a wonderful conductor and what they do is still
largely a function of the conductor. Their latest, Brass Links, with
Bram Tovey in the middle is also not completely satisfying. Personally I
would like to see them use Bram Gregson as their regular conductor. You
cannot however argue with what they have done in building an audience
and giving well paid work to a bunch of Pros.

I think they are the only North American band who, with the right
conductor could compete but it will never happen.

 >and most of the other
> conductors, I find in MHO they tend to be sterile in sound.

I think their discs recorded by Ted (Ed) Marshall have more presence
than the ones done by the other engineers.

 Just my personal
> observation.
> Thus I am looking forward to hearing them under James!
> BTW, I have moved over to Cariboo Hill and I must now pay homage to a "young
> trombone virtuso" whose bright picture is displayed in the memories cabinet
> with the Vancouver Temple Band and one of their trips south of the border!

Don't believe everything you read. I actually thought I was a good
player then until I was exposed to good players. Have been trying ever
since to overcome my faults with only partial success.

Regards.

Dave.