Re: Cornet players

The weather has cooled down here a little in Australia and the tinnies are
back under lock and key in the fridge.

The original question was who was the last big name cornet player from
England. Now some great name have come up - and we reckon from the list of
names provided (apart from Roger Webster) it was back to Jimmy Shepherd (I
think I've hot the spelling right).

Now my mate Paulin  has been damn good (and still is) and David Daws is a
terrific stand-up man, particularly for SA repertoire.

But McCann (World's Most Beautiful Melodies Vol. 222) and Russell Gray seem
to have a much wider sound and tend to be extremely lyrical; and they've
got the benefit of good PR machines.

BTW, with the arrival of further information I unreservedly apologise to
all Scots on the list for any offence caused by moving Roger Webster's
genetical origins further north.

Chris Earl