Ben Godfrey : was Re: Cornet players -Reply

I must agree with these comments about Ben Godfrey. He's a very good player, and
what a sound indeed. A pitty he disappeared from the top scene  after splitting
with YBS.
Is he with Rigid's now?

Edy

>>> Glenn McGowan <mcgowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 01/22/99 11:07am >>>
Roger is certainly no Scot.  No trace of a Scottish accent.  There's no doubt
Scotland has produced some wonderful cornet players.  But they certainly don't
have a mortgage on classic cornet sound.  Ian Porthouse true, but what about
Ben Godfrey?  He's from Milton Keynes (no-where near Scotland!) and has (IMHO)
the classic cornet sound.  Listen to it on YBS' Introduction CD playing Chablis
and Maids of Cadiz.  Wow! what a sound, what control, what technique.  The
kid's got it all.  Certainly the best live player I've ever heard (and I think
I've heard just about all of them).
Glenn McGowan