Re: Adagio for strings, Samuel Barber. -Reply

Although Alec's reply is not all clear to me either, I feel Adagio for stings is
not arrangeable for brass. You do not arrange Tsjaikowski's serenade for strings
either. No way you can even get close to the atmosphere strings bring on.

I played an arrangement of the adagio, 2 days later I heard the string version
and everything going trough my mind was "Oh no, we shouldn't even have touched
it".

Was this what Alec also meant?

Edy

>>> <MentorH@xxxxxxx> 01/22/99 03:50pm >>>
In a message dated 1/22/99 4:41:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
alec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>  If anyone *does* know of such an abomination, could they please keep very,
>  very quiet about it, please?
>
>  Issued on behalf of music-lovers everywhere,

+That's a very curious reply, and it would be useful to elaborate. I
personally like the piece in its choral and string versions. I've penned it,
and its big drawback is in the physical demands upon players to sustain for
such long periods, but alternating parts is the solution there. otherwise, it
is quite idiomatic for brass band.