Re: Adagio for strings, Samuel Barber.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian McKechnie <mckechnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 January 1999 15:46
Subject: Re: Adagio for strings, Samuel Barber.

Andy Wooler
wrote:
> As someone who thinks this work is one of the finest of it's genre, I take
> great exception to you claiming to speak on behalf of music lovers
> everywhere.
> There are many of us on this list who completely disagree with your
> statement. By all means express an opinion but don't claim to do so on
> behalf of others please.

>And Ian wrote:

>But if, in fact, he does speak on behalf of others, then he is
>perfectly entitled to make the point.  And while on that subject, I
suspect you have misunderstood his comment : it is not the Barber
Adagio for strings which he objects to, but the idea of arrranging it
for brass band.

Thanks very much for coming to my assistance, Ian.  However, sorry to Andy
about the intemperate comment.  I really must stop replying to messages late
at night after the pub.

Alec