Re: Cornet players

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Younghusband <monkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 January 1999 16:37
Subject: Re: Cornet players

>jeremy wise wrote:
>
>> Out of interest, to change topics - how many other list members have
noticed
>> the effect on cornet sound which Dave King has had on many of the fine
>> players mentioned - Roger Webster, Ian Porthouse and Ben Godfrey have all
>> been end chair men under DK and their sounds have changed noticeably
under
>> his influence - to my ears anyway.
>
>For better or worse Jeremy?
>
>Monkey

It doesn't really matter whether my opinion is that their sounds were better
or worse I was trying to establish whether or not I had imagined it. I was
curious to know whether other listeners had detected what I perceive to be
the distinctive DK stamp on these players during their time with him.

The best way that I can think of to describe the sound which he seems to
obtain from many of his players is a 'vocalised' sound for want of a better
description. This is a full open throated sound with a 'sung' type of
vibrato. Roger in particular seems to have changed his sound noticeably
since his 1990 Essence of Time live at the Europeans recording. Ben lives
near me and I have heard him play since he was 15. Again the same
development seemed to take place. What do the rest of you think?

Jeremy