Re: Music Lovers

-----Original Message-----
From: THoward34@xxxxxxx <THoward34@xxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 January 1999 07:48
Subject: Music Lovers (was Adagio for Strings)

>Just to keep this thread going a little longer I would like  to know how
those
>on the BB list would define a music lover.

There are, I'm sure, as many definitions as there are list members, but
here's a few thoughts:

There are those who appreciate music for its aesthetic qualities alone.
They are music lovers in the purest sense of the words.

There are those who take an interest in the technical aspects of music
making but keep things in proportion - with the aesthetic aspects taking
overwhelming precedence over the technical aspects.

There are those who, deep down, appreciate the aesthetic qualities of music,
but who allow their interest in the technical aspects of music-making to
take precedence.

And finally, there are those benighted individuals for whom the technical
aspects of music making are not the means, but the end - people for whom
music is a branch of the sciences, not the arts.

Just a few thoughts.

Alec