Re: Dykes New Solo Horn

The appointment of a female in the band has been coming for quite some time. I
personally think that its a great move and one which is long overdue.
Debbie French (perc) has played with the band in the past at competitions, so
has Anna Wilby (perc). Linda Nicholson (cornet/flugel) has played principal
cornet on concerts, CD recordings and broadcasts. Claire Allen (cornet) has
also helped us out many times before she joined the RAF. More recently my
daughter Lisa (cornet) has deputised with us on rep. (she played at
Brentwood).
All of these players have done fantastic work with the band,  the appointment
of Lesley Howie on solo horn is a natural progression in an evolving
trend..... no great suprise!
As we are poised to enter the 21st Century I  for one, am pleased that  Dyke
has finally caught up with the 20th !

I formed and conducted a band in Hull (EYMS). We gained Championship status
after only 5 years. I know the value of our female players, without them the
movement would be sunk!

Congratulations to Lesley and well done James Watson for having the courage to
make the move.

PS Les Mc Cormack resigned from the band just before Christmas due to extra
work commitments.