Soppy arguments

Strange though it may seem,  Ian KcKechnie wrote:

> > You might be right about the sop being the hardest instrument in the
> > brass band (though there might be others better qualified than I am
> > to disagree with that) and you might even be right about the jealousy
> > bit - after all, soprano cornet parts are so easy compared with the
> > average piccolo trumpet part.  (And, compared with the average
> > piccolo trumpet part, so badly played.........)

I couldn't disagree more, Ian.  Since you enjoy crass generalisation
this should keep you fairly happy:

1 - Sop. players are expected to develop a much wider dynamic range
than picc. players

2 - Sop. players need to use a much wider range of articulation
styles than picc. players

3 - most 'difficult' picc. parts come from the baroque repertoire so
comprise only notes from the harmonic series whereas sop. players
sometimes have to play chromatic notes too....

4 - I concede that picc. players need to use their fourth finger now
and then...

5 - regarding your assertion that picc. parts are generally better
played than to sop. parts (and I'd like some evidence to substantiate
this) I'd like to refer you to every amateur performance of the
Christmas Oratorio I've ever heard - they invariably sound like
rather nasty railway accidents once the piccs. get stuck in...

Don't dismiss this as the reply of an angry sop. player because:

1 - I'm not angry, and

2 - I've spent as much time behind a sop. as a picc. and love them
both.

David

PS OLD JOKE: Q: What's the difference between a seamstress and a
piccolo trumpet player?   A: A seamstress tucks up the frills...