Horn seating order

Claire Warden wrote:

>p.p.s Anyone got any thoughts on which way round horns should sit ?
>Under John Berryman we sat 2nd horn joining front row cornets with
>flugel on the other end (above solo horn) joining baritones.  At
>Abingdon I now sit the other way and the flugel has decided shes going
>to sit next to rep !

At Bilton I have sat in all three of the above formations.  I also depped
once for a band who have their flugel at the end of the row opposite the
solo cornets (traditional euph position) (didn't like that much - the
conductor was much too close for comfort!)

Next to Rep is nice (even if it is one's sister!) as there are a lot of
parts in common (but if that is a traditional "back row" position it's a
pain seeing the bloke with the stick).  Between solo horn and solo cornets
is OK, same sort of reasons.  Currently I sit between Solo Horn and 2nd
Baritone.  That's also a good place to sit because the flugel/tenor
horn/baritone grouping is very much a section, again sharing common parts.
Are you starting to get the idea?  The flugel plays so many bits with other
players that it's probably impossible to pick the best place to sit.

As for the horns, realistically most bands have a horn section which
benefits from the Solo horn's bell pointing at the 1st horn, and the 1st
horn's at the 2nd.

So there's my ten-pennorth.  In the absence of any overwhelming musical
considerations, I reckon you should sit next to the best looking bloke or
your best mate ;-)

Jud.