Wooden & Plastic rimmed mouthpieces

The times that I have spoken to anyone about wooden mouthpieces, I have
gained the impression that they were warm in Winter but had a tendancy
to smell after a period of use.  And I have not met anyone still
regularly using one but that may just be the circles I move in.

However, you werent after a third-hand opinion I suspect.  But the topic
is interesting because we have recently (last week) sent our Solo Horn
player's mouthpiece off to have a plastic rim fitted.  She is allegic to
the metal, and has tried loads of different approaches - including Gold
Plating, but that wears off in due course.

Our MD (Geoff Gossage) wrote to a knowledgable chap in BB and was
surprised and delighted to get a phone call telling him where the
plastic treatment could be done.  The rim is apparently machined down, a
screw thread cut and an insert applied.

I would imagine some may be interested in the outcome, out of
curiosity.  I certainly am and when it comes back I will ask the lady
for her thoughts.  Cost?  about 60.  ($100 US)  Well worth it if your
chops are getting ravaged by allergy, methinks.  If it works.

Steve
Euphonium, Melbourne Town Band
http://www.proactif.co.uk/mtb.htm