Re: Off Topic : The Sop, the Picc, and morons.

Dave Lancaster wrote :

> OK Ian, to help you understand about dynamics and articulation, name
> one extract from the mainstream picc. repertoire which calls for the
> controlled, hushed lyricism of 'Green' from Spectrum

Depends on what you mean by "mainstream picc repertoire" but, off the
top of my head, I would say the 3rd movement of the Viviani Sonata
No 2, or the Melani cantata "All'armi, Pensieri" or the Alessandro
Scarlatti aria "Mio Tesoro" or the second movement of the Grossi
Sonata No 11, or any one of dozens of other pieces.  Of course, these
are only the controlled hushed lyrical movements from the baroque
repertoire originally written for trumpet, and that's without looking
at the significant number of transcriptions for piccolo trumpet from
the repertoire of other periods and instruments.

Going back to my earlier point, many of these pieces could be played
equally on picc, on D or Eb trumpet, or on Eb cornet (though the last
would not be my instrument of choice, I have played more than one
Handel oratorio on a borrowed Eb cornet in the past).

You see (and for the sake of the literal-minded amongst us, the
following comment is not meant entirely seriously.  It is, in fact
tongue in cheek) the trouble with soprano cornet players is that they
discover "controlled, hushed lyricism" two hundred years after
everyone else, and then think they were there first!

Ian McKechnie
<mckechnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>