Re: The Newcomers & Millenium

Here goes! What are the thoughts on the Millennium. There has been considerable
debate as to when it officially starts.
I am inclined to go with 2001 as it was illustrated recently by an math expert
on the telly. The first year should start at one, not zero. Simplistic but IMO
correct.
As for celebrating,
Well I think we should be grateful for what we have and what has been
accomplished even in my own short lifetime. (50 plus 5 years!) I have moved from
the days when we were lucky to have electricity, had ice delivered weekly for
our ice box, used to have a weekly bath as the hot water was only heated once a
week, and for the family at that. I was fortunate, as when I was much younger,
about 5 or 6 years old, my father and I would get the first bath as I was the
youngest boy.
Who would have ever thought that we would transmit mail or messages like this.
Important messages came from afar by a telegraph boy delivering messages that
had come across the continent in a day or so, and you paid for every word, even
'stop' which was used to end a sentence.
Now we can go worldwide with this intriguing medium and think nothing of picking
up a telephone to call anywhere in the world and rates that are mind boggling.
We have basically had a world of peace in our time. Sure there have been clashes
and other localised wars but not the great ones.
We have so much to be thankful for and we should share our experiences with one
another.
Don't flame me for my thoughts on Millennium, just some opinions please.
As for my wife and I, we are saving our pennies for our big cruise or whatever
we can afford at the time in 2000, for it will be our thirtieth wedding
anniversary, which in these days is often now a milestone!

Regards,
Larry White