Re: Tenor horns

Roy why is that a problem? Look at the bells of trombones. The second player
hears the bass and the first player hears the second.  If the the players are
not equal, then perhaps it is better that the solo horn hears what's happening
down the row.  It's always a compromise but for me, it's more important that
the flugel and solo horn are kept together and since the flugelhorn also works
a great deal with the rep and all the cornets, he/she should be placed on the
left, next to the solo cornets.  If you study your scores, you will see it
works best that way, most of the time. When the Flugel is placed on the right
side in the traditional euphonium position, he becomes too present both in
concert and especially in recordings. I have engineered and produced several
brass band recordings and that becomes a problem as far as I'm concerned.  This
is also the way I think and hear when I arrange.  I would be interested in
hearing Ray Farr's view on this.

Mark Freeh (New York City)