The "Off Topic": The Sop, the Picc, and others

I think we might also remember that the piccolo trumpet is a Twentieth
century invention! The repertoire that you mention would almost have
certainly been written for Natural Trumpet or Cornette, both of which have
a softer less brilliant sound than any modern instrument. Anyway, point
taken. There  is good and bad repertoire and good and bad players for and
on any instrument.

Mind you, if you want to hear authentic brass instruments played with a bit
of fervour, I can heartily recommend the last track off "A Venetian
Coronation" by the London Gabrielli Consort. These guys with weeny little
Sackbut bores whould put many a "look at my double thayer valve" player to
shame (must be played EXTREMELY loud - preferably at 2.00am).

Rolf Miezitis

Depends on what you mean by "mainstream picc repertoire" but, off the
top of my head, I would say the 3rd movement of the Viviani Sonata
No 2, or the Melani cantata "All'armi, Pensieri" or the Alessandro
Scarlatti aria "Mio Tesoro" or the second movement of the Grossi
Sonata No 11, or any one of dozens of other pieces.  Of course, these
are only the controlled hushed lyrical movements from the baroque
repertoire originally written for trumpet, and that's without looking
at the significant number of transcriptions for piccolo trumpet from
the repertoire of other periods and instruments.

Going back to my earlier point, many of these pieces could be played
equally on picc, on D or Eb trumpet, or on Eb cornet (though the last
would not be my instrument of choice, I have played more than one
Handel oratorio on a borrowed Eb cornet in the past).

Ian McKechnie
<mckechnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

the system manager.