Re: The "Off Topic": The Sop, the Picc, and others

Rolf Miezitis

> I think we might also remember that the piccolo trumpet is a Twentieth
> century invention!

Absolutely, but the comparison being drawn was with the sop, which is
to all intents and purposes a contemporary of the picc (give or take
a few years).  And I hope you would agree that these are "controlled,
lyrical" pieces (or should be!)

> The repertoire that you mention would almost have
> certainly been written for Natural Trumpet or Cornette, both of which have
> a softer less brilliant sound than any modern instrument.

With all due respect, depends on who is playing the picc!

> Anyway, point
> taken. There  is good and bad repertoire and good and bad players for and
> on any instrument.

And, to repeat my earlier point, the instruments have more in common
than is often thought to be the case.  Thanks for your note.

Ian McKechnie
<mckechnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>