Re: Brass band seating

Hi folks,
I was flattered to be asked for my views on brass band seating.

What I like, if  space & time permit, is a variety of formations.
Last night my Eikanger Band performed the whole of "Pictures from an
Exhibition" with a really unusual seating.-
Two rows of cornets - forward facing, in front of me, Basses then Perc.
behind them.
Trombones on my right (facing out a bit)
Horns where the solo cornets usually sit.
Baris & Euphs behind them.

You have to have a good band for this, because every detail can be
heard.

My normal, favourite seating is:
Cornets, Troms., Basses, Perc. normal, then:
Horns in front of me (Flugel right)
Baris, & Euphs. behind them.
I inherited this from Elgar Howarth while at Grimethorpe & kept with it.

One thing I am sure about is we must not sit with our backs to the
audience!
In fact we should develop eye contact!

Best wishes
Ray Farr