More tenor horn questions -Reply

Philip,

it all depends of course how you feel with the rim, which sound you prefer,...
it's all personal.

All I know is about the Wicks.
I prefer a bright and a quite fat sound, as Sandy Smith or Sheona White. A
number 5 makes me think you are coming down from a smaller instrument like
flugel, cornet, maybe even French horn?
I think you should once try to come down to nr. 2. Or 3 if on the 2 you loose
the upper register. Certainly when you're on solo horn, it can be very tiring
playing above top G's for an hour on an nr. 2. If you're on second horn I think
it's difficult to play a clear bottom G, F# on a 5.
But all depends also on the person of course. I know Sandy has no problems with
his nr. 2 , Sheona tried it too but feels more comfortable on 3  and she's
playing the 3 now I think. But it should be crazy to go for an embouchure
somebody else is playing. But try it!

Oh yes, I am using the Wick no.2 on first horn. But then I never started on eg
cornet.

Regards,
Edy

>>> Philip Argent <argent@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 02/04/99 06:40pm >>>
I'm interested in a new mouthpiece, and I was just wondering what other
horn players on the list like and use.  I'm currently using a Dennis
Wick-5, but I like the Vincent Bach mouthpieces.  Any adivce?

Thanks,
Philip Argent - SA