RE: baritone-solo's (amended text)

Ah yes, dear Macushla ....... I know him well.  My one and only moment
of glory in the spotlight as a baritone soloist was performing this
across the WWW with Cyberband '97 backing up at the rear!

However, just to keep the record straight ...... "Macushla" was
originally written as a Bb Cornet solo but over time has been stolen by
baris. and even (I do believe) euphs. (e.g. Faireys?)

For original baritone solos I can propose one which Castle Music is
marketing called "Maids of the Mourne Shore" although I have no personal
experience of it so cannot comment as to standard, quality or whatever.

Another suggestion would be the Gershwin classic "The Man I love" (or if
it's a straight bloke who's the soloist you could programme it as "The
One/Lass I Love" I guess)<tee hee>

"Sally in our Alley" is o.k. as a solo I suppose but it didn't exactly
thrill either myself or my Band when we tried it out (there are probably
better tunes around to try) and thus has never seen the light of day
since.

"The Southern Cross" is one from NZ and I believe has been recorded by
euph. player Rikki McDonnell (or somebody else if not him).

"She moves through the fair" is an old Steelye Span ballad which in the
BB guise is performed as either a duet for baritone and tenor horn or as
a solo for euph.  Sandy Smith is the culprit for providing the duet
version (but it's not published so unless you know Mr Smith or the
librarian at Fairey's then you've probably no chance of getting hold of
it alas ..... I've tried and failed myself).  The euph. solo arrangement
is by David Lancaster who subscribes to this list and will therefore be
able to provide more info. and even sell you a copy!

"Meiso" is nice but a little high for both soloists in places so only
tackle this in public if you have a solid and reliable upper register (I
don't).

Then there are the various original solo works and a couple of duets
Steven Booth has done himself but again I have no first hand knowledge
of them so cannot comment.

There are probably others out there just waiting to be discovered but if
your looking for a nice medium difficult Euph. solo to adapt might I
suggest you try Philip Sparke's "Aubade" in which the cornets are tacet
throughout (ah peace at last!)

Oh yes and for the superstars amongst you ........ try "Rhapsody for
Baritone" by also by Philip Sparke if you're feeling ambitious.  This
was the set piece for the Open Baritone final at the recent National
Euph. & Baritone Festival at Chetham's. Manchester - won by Margaret
Antrobus of YBS.

Good luck with your search in any case.

Angela T.