Re: Sops, Piccs, and brass bnd bigotry

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, David Sheedy wrote:

> I know why did they pick Main Street for the Areas for 3rd section and yet
> only a few months ago it was the 2nd section piece for Pontins finals.
> Surely the pieces for 2nd and 3rd section should have been the other way
> round ?

It's an odd choice, especially when you look at some of the other
area pieces-Kenilworth in the 1st section, Symphonic Suite in the 2nd,
Indian Summer in the 4th-all pieces that shouldn't set too many problems
with playing the notes, leaving the results(probably) based on
interpretation. Blitz is hard, but IMO Main Street is probably the most
difficult test for the section it's set for-it's so hard for the band to
fit all the little bits together. Also, that bass variation! Hmm. A tad
tricky for 3rd section bands, I feel. It's also not a particularly good
piece of music either, all broken up in a rather unmusical way, with very
few pleasing parts, either to listen to or play. It's simply hardcore
brass band cheese from another era, which really should be forgotten.
<calm down>

Anyway, just my thoughts,
Dave Taylor
Warwick University Brass Band