RE: Braces

Dear Monkey,

Having had this problem myself, I got over it this way . . .

Like you say most players do seem to cope, from what I learnt (and
several other friends !) basically the problem seems to be worsened by
small mouthpieces - and are obviously accentuated in the smaller
instruments.  My problem was the metal of my brace was directly up
against the mouthpiece - (Denis Wick 5 at the time)  my teacher
suggested a bigger mouthpiece so I bought a Wick 2 (for =A320) and my
upper register collapsed !!  However I got it back quite fast and still
play with a Wick 2.

So, see if her brace is pressing against the mouthpiece and if it is -
get a bigger one :)  I also found practicing long notes bottom C to G
building up to middle C helped get my lip back in as you need a
different set of muscles with a brace in the way.

Happy Teaching :)
Cheers, Claire.

p.s. Dont tell her - but I found it just as bad when it was taken off