Re: History of the Flugel

Cameron.
  Ger., flugelhorn.,
The  keyed bugle was rapidly replaced by valved bugles in German speaking
countries than in Britain. the desire for an alternitive tone coulour at
pitch of the principle melody line led to the adoption of the Flugel Horn
the name for the valved bugle prevelant in Austria, rather than the
contralto saxhorn. there were two or three in brass bands in the 1870s. the
European milatary bands use two or more parts and perhaps one for a small
soprano flugel in Eb Fr. petite bugle. Ger. Pikkolo.
The instrument was introduced fist in Germany in the late1930s to replace
the keyed bugle.in Britain, although the German name is kept, the design
follos French models of the mid 19th century.
In the orchestra Stravinsky, Threni. Vaughan Williams 9th Sym. in both of
wich it has an important solo part.