Re: Many thanks and politics

Tony (now I know it's you and not Tanya!!) wrote:  (snip)

>  That said, I take my playing
> seriously and hate to make a mistake ( although this often occurs). I always
> try my hardest.
> What seems to be occuring lately is people are always ready to tell others
> what peple are doing wrong, but never the offender. I am not scared of
> constructive critism, infact I welcome it, as I realise I can only learn and
> benefit from it. Is it not the bandmasters job to instruct his players? But
> there is no use hearing it second hand. All this does is "get my back up"
> and force me to loose my enthusiasm. Same thing happens when you see someone
> sitting there shaking there head at other players whom are not of the same
> calibre as themselves. It's not as if people make mistakes on purpose.
> I choose to believe we all try our best.
> This subject has been on my mind for a while now and really getting me down
> (as far as banding goes). Do you think I should confront this person and lay
> my cards on the table. Do any other band suffer this senario?Any advice
> would be most welcome.

I can see your problem and that's not very nice to have someone in the frontrow
tut tutting away at your expense which does make that individual a prima donna.
I've had this happen to me when I was playing permit in another band when
another percussionist was sniggering away to himself as I was struggling with a
timpani part.  In the end you just have to let it go over your head.  (I'm a
firm believer in what goes around comes around.)  Anyway perhaps you could have
a word in the M.D.'s ear??  He and he alone should be responsible for any
"criticism" arising during band practice.  Are you having lessons?  What band do
you play in (or where abouts do you live?)  You might find another one of your
cornet players is willing to help you out as well.

Bye,
Vicki.