RE: Politics again/ fees

Claire Warden wrote...
...On a Fees point can I ask how much are players contributing in other
bands ???   It is 60 a year at Abingdon (spread out by arrangement) I
believe this is NOT expensive - please prove me right !!!!....

Our band charges only 25p a year for subscriptions.  Yes, pence not pounds.
Waived for under 18s and life members.  And even that is paid out of the
"tote" money.  The tote is a draw run on a ten-weekly basis.  There are 200
tickets - you subscribe to as many or as few tickets as you want at 10p a
ticket - non-band-members also take part.  A number is drawn every week for
a 5 prize, with a 50 every 10 weeks.  We make 100 every 10 weeks.  This
means that the amount of subs you actually pay can vary depending on your
circumstances and your level of addiction to gambling.

Coaches, uniforms, music and instruments (and all the other stuff) are paid
for out of band funds, mostly from Christmas playing and concerts.  We
currently have no commercial sponsorship.

We do not pay members' expenses (travelling, baby-sitters etc), but even so,
it makes this a very cheap hobby.  Even though we are in the heady heights
of section 1, we remain a village band with loyal players who want to enjoy
their playing, and will not up and leave the second we lose sponsorship,
which is a great plus over other "more professional" bands.

I don't think 60 a year is a lot - how much would your local golf club
charge?  Or a gym?  Someone who walks out in a huff over something would
probably have gone anyway sooner or later, so don't lose any sleep over that
one!

As for politics - our committee consists of 10 hard-working members who
share the work out pretty evenly.  The secretary's job is done by 2 people
(Concert sec and General sec).  Special jobs are shared out (lottery
applications, twinning visits organisation, new uniforms etc).  It works
well.  We have had our moments over the years, but on the whole, the band
stays focussed on the business of enjoying making music, and as we get
almost a full band at every rehearsal we must be doing something right!

Jud.