Band Politics - one final thought

A question.................

Has anyone on the list ever had problems when they left a band to go and
play with another? I don't mean as a result of falling out with anyone
but just reactions? I only ask as I had quite an experience when I moved
on from one band to another last summer.

I had been with one band for 13 years and had progressed from 3rd cornet
up to 3rd man down on the front row. I felt as though my playing wasn't
progressing and wasn't getting much of a play other parts and generally
wasn't enjoying my banding any more. I took the rather brave step of
resigning from a band which contained many good friends and moved on to
another band (in a higher section incidentally) and since then my
playing has improved dramatically, so I feel as though I have made the
right move.

The reaction I got from some of the other players (only one or two) was
quite shocking. One message I recieved contained such phrases as
"Betrayal" and "Stabbed in the back" from someone who I have known for
nearly 15 years. I was on the committee at the time of my resignation
but I offered to carry on playing to help out until another player could
be found or a solution reached, but with comments like that and being
handed the silent treatment by the MD, it was all too much in the end. I
might as well have just walked out in silence.

To add to the pressure - I was up against my old band at a contest not
long after I resigned and had 3 solos to play in our own choice test
piece. Fortunately the pressure or the occasion didn't get the better of
me.

Anyone else had such 'fun' experiences when moving on from a band?

Regards

Alistair