RE: Many thanks and politics (again!)

Vicki Aumann wrote.................

> I can see your problem and that's not very nice to have
> someone in the frontrow
> tut tutting away at your expense which does make that
> individual a prima donna.

Absolutely. I was subjected to this when I was learning to play the
cornet when I was 10 and sat on 3rd. One of the front row cornet players
who really did fancy himself rather badly just sat there and laughed
when we were asked to play on our own. These are the things that you
remember and I would never want anyone to be subjected to something like
that. The player in question was in the band for quite a while before
leaving (for reasons I cannot remember) and I was not at all sad to see
him go. He was a good player but his attitude stank.

When you sit in a principal position (as I now do) you have to remember
that the section is not just made up of one player - or more to the
point, one player's ego.

In my experience though (14 years of it) there's usually one
"tut-tutter" in every band - and I don't mean the MD!!!!  It usually
blows up in their face sooner or later when a nice trickly solo comes
along for them!!!!!

Just my thoughts.................

Regards

Alistair Richards