Re: Politics again/ fees

Ok, here is a new angle to this subject. At Ashton-under-Lyne band, the
standard subs are =A32 per week (I thinks it's =A31 for students). ALL th
e band
pay, including our very dedicated and hard working conductor. Believe it
or
not, we are in the Championship section so our conductor could probably g
et
a fair amount of beer money out of conducting another band - he does
however see it as his hobby, and sees himself as being a normal member of
the band. He's also extremely good - getting us third place to Glossop an
Todmorden at Blackburn contest with English Heritage.

We are absolutely skint. We have a cold wooden hut for a bandroom with no
heating (but it's like a conservatory in Summer) and we cannot afford any
uniforms other that ties with the coat of arms on. As with most bands, we
'd
love sponsorship (or even a lottery grant) but as it is we're saving up
every penny for uniforms and percussion.

As to politics.... Our band doesn't have a committee. After most rehearsa
l,
we discuss any business in front of the band and decisions are made then.
Everything is voted on, including jobs that we are offered. This eases a
lot of tension because you always know where you stand, if you don't like
what happens it's your fault for not speaking up. When the band (re)forme
everyone said 'Oh, you need a committee or else everyone will spend all
their time bickering'. This is not so, and three years down the line we
have proved it.

Long live democracy.

Gav
Ashton