Re: Newcomer Help Website

At 01:05 13/02/99 -0000, you wrote:
>Hi All
>I'm Mark Bingham principal cornet of the 1st Old Boys Band in Belfast
>Northern Ireland and the North Irish TA Band.
>
>I'm trying to set up a Website for my Band. Anyone suggest what software to
>use so I can get started, thanks
Someone has already suggested Notepad and this is what I use - no matter
how powerful the WYSIWYG editor, be it Frontpage, Hotmetal, whatever, they
are only really useful for quickly running through design ideas. Nothing is
as powerful as doing the HTML code yourself; and don't be put off
hand-coding the site by forgetting that HTML is not the difficult part
(just check out some of the many sites devoted to HTML coding), but the
design and content and of a site.

Apart from writing the HTML, you'll definitely need some graphics software.
Paint Shop Pro should suffice and will happily cope with any scanning of
photos you may need. If you plan putting sound clips on the pages then
you'll need some program to record from a tape or CD and then (for long
samples) encode them to (for example) mp3. The programs to do this are
quite difficult to find, but the shareware program n-Track Studio might
well be sufficient.

As if to lend some credence to this advice (and of course advertise our
site), I created our band's site with some or all of these tools:
http://www.socc.ie/brass

Trevor Johnston
Drogheda Brass Band
Ireland