Band politics, fees, etc.

Hi all,

This is an interesting discussion and useful to hear experiences from
other bands.

We don't charge fees as such but every band member has to join the 100
Club. This costs 3 pounds a month but every month there is a draw:
1st 40 pounds
2nd 20 pounds
3rd 10 pounds

The club is also open to non-band members as well. Not sure exactly how
many people are in the Club but presumably it must be reasonably
successful if we continue to do it.

Our income is primarily from concerts, park jobs and christmas carolling.
We usually charge about 200 pounds for an engagement - although this is
negotiable depending on the type of job.

We will help towards travelling expenses if someone has a long way to
travel to rehearsals but don't tend to pay out for contests, engagements
etc. We don't tend to hire a coach too often but when we do, the band will
pay some of the cost with the players paying about a tenner a head. Other
outgoings are the usual room rent, MD fees, music, etc.

We have a committee made up of the following:
Chairman
Secretary
Treasurer
Contest Secretary
Publicity Officer
Band Master
Librarian
Musical Director

The Chairman and Secretry are married which means they do a lot of work
together for the band. Our Band Master has been heavily invloved in our
Lottery Bid. We meet about once a month - the MD is always present. Some
do more work than others but that is always going to be the case. I
haven't heard of much resentment from the rest of the band towards the
committee. We try to keep everyone informed of all our decisions and ask
everyone to propose items for discussion at the committee meeting.

We have a thriving Youth and Junior section which have their own committee
but there is an overall Management Committee for the organisation made up
of a couple of members from each individual committee. It does seem like a
lot of committees but the system seems to work well.

Lets hope that continues!

Cheers
Stuart Gadsden
Publicity Officer