RE: Band politics, fees, etc.

Just a few comments from me

This probably works well for your band, but having a committee made up a
family members can cause problems with decisions not being made for the
benefit of the band, or members being protective of each other if
comments are made. In my last band we changed the constitution of the
band so that 'not more than one member of a family can stand on the
committee'. I know it sounds draconian but you have to think long term.
Once a group or person has 'control' of a band it is difficult to remove
them. It is for that reason I like to see a 'no person can hold a
position on a committee for more than two years rule'. Being re-elected
year after year can lead to complacency, I know this happened to me when
I was a treasurer.

On the subject of subs (I prefer it to be called 'membership fee') when
I was a treasurer, when members got behind with payment I used to leave
a note on their stand telling them exactly how much they owed. A bit
impersonal but it saved any confrontations and it worked. I understand
Neals comments about having to pay to play, especially when you are
self-employed. We had this problem in my last band with the
percussionist, he had to turn down paid jobs to come to rehearsals, but
you can't have one rule for some and one for another, so we let him go.

> We meet about once a month - the MD is always  present.

Regular meetings are a good thing, this leads to more constructive,
shorter meetings with actions being carried out quicker. I am also happy
for the MD to attend committee meetings and being involved with
discussions but feel, like my last band, they should not be a member of
the committee and they are better out of the politics.

In my opinion, you get out of banding what you put in, and helping on
the committee can enhance this.

Happy banding
Geoff Collins