RE: Band politics, fees, etc.

Thanks for the comments Geoff. Just thought I would reply with a few more!

> > The Chairman and Secretry are married which means they do a
> > lot of work together for the band.
>
> This probably works well for your band, but having a committee made up a
> family members can cause problems with decisions not being made for the
> benefit of the band, or members being protective of each other if
> comments are made.

So far, no problems in our band. But Mark has only been chairman for about
a month. Our previous chairman had to resign due to other commitments.
Mark used to serve as Treasurer but seemed the best choice for Chairman.
He doesn't actually play in the band so our bandmaster deals with the
playing side of the band. Ideally, we want Mark to try and do more on the
business side of the band - looking for sponsorship etc which our
Secretary (his wife) has been trying to do. I suppose they are really
working together for the benefit of the band. No-one in our band raised
any problems with this - probably because no-one else fancied the job!

> It is for that reason I like to see a 'no person can hold a
> position on a committee for more than two years rule'.

I think this is quite a good idea - new people hopefully mean new ideas
and the band continues to move forward and progress. However, a lot of
people in our band make sacrifices just to attend rehearsals let alone
becoming a committee member as well. If more people were willing to stand
for the committee then I think this could only help the band.

> In my opinion, you get out of banding what you put in, and helping on
> the committee can enhance this.

Absolutley spot on! I enjoy playing in the band but enjoy being part of
the committee as well. There is no better feeling than seeing a full hall
for a concert knowing that your hard work has paid off!

Thanks for the comments
Cheers
Stuart Gadsden
Publicity Officer